The Friends of Parrott Hall are working closely with the Preservation League of New York State and the Landmark Society of Western New York to urge a stop to Park's plan to demolish Parrott Hall. A second opinion is needed and we have a structural engineer lined up, one experienced with historic masonry structures, to access this historic site and safely assess its condition. But we need permission from Parks first. We have excellent local support from citizens of the area, as well as the Geneva Historic Districts and Structures Commission, Geneva City Council, and the Town Board of the Town of Geneva.
I am asking now for your help! Without hearing from you, Parks will proceed with its plans to demolish Parrott Hall. With support from the Preservation League and the Landmark Society, we are ramping up efforts in public awareness and engagement. Suggestions on how you can help are found here:
This is Preservation Month . It’s a great time to bring attention to our threatened historic treasures like Parrott Hall. So . . .
- Please call or write to Parks Commissioner Rose Harvey (and many thanks if you’ve already done so!). Ask her to save Parrott Hall, and demand that she allow the Friends of Parrott Hall access to the building so a second opinion can be developed from our own structural engineering firm. Speak out against “demolition by neglect.” (Commissioner Rose Harvey, NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, Albany, NY 12238; 518-474-0443)
- Call or write State Senator Pam Helming to thank her for her support. Let her know you appreciate her help, and this is an issue of importance to you. (Sen. Pamela Helming, Legislative Office Building Room 946, Albany, NY 12247; local phone for office at 425 Exchange Street - 315-568-9816)
- Participate in our social media campaign; post to your social media accounts using the hashtag #thisplacematters .
- Hold up the “This Place Matters” sign while standing in front of Parrott Hall. Take pictures and post away to social media. You can print signs found at “Printable Signage”, or see me (Bruce Reisch) to borrow one of my signs if you’re nearby.
- Use the hashtag #ThisPlaceMatters
· Tag the National Trust @savingplaces on Instagram
· Tag Landmark Society @landmarksociety on Instagram
· Tag the Preservation League, @preservenys
· And I would even consider tagging OPRHP, @nystateparks on Instagram.